Sunday, January 11, 2009

Saying Goodbye



It was fitting, I thought, that this would be my last cartoon to appear in print for the Daily News. After eight horrendous years we finally bid farewell to the Bush/Cheney junta next week. They will leave office declaring themselves a total success, of course.


Subconsciously, I must have been drawing a self portrait here. Bush could be me, suitcase open, looking around wondering what to pack from the rubble. Like me, all the walls have crumbled, revealing the cold, wintery world outside. Perhaps the scowling Cheney in the corner is my own ego, wounded and bitter.


Maybe I'm reading too much into it. Freud famously said that "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." Well, maybe sometimes "Cheney holding a shotgun is just Cheney holding a shotgun."

No comments: